What is Malaria?
Malaria is a serious and infectious disease that's known to plague mainly Africa (including northern regions of South Africa), third world countries and in other countries within tropical climates. Malaria is generally transmitted from the bite of a female (Anopheles) mosquito that is already infected with protozoan parasite species belonging to genus Plasmodium.
When the malaria parasites enter the human's blood stream, it travels straight to the liver where they reproduce and continue to mass multiply in cycles. These parasites then attack the red blood cells producing symptoms like excessive sweating, chills, fevers, muscle aches, vomiting, diarrhea, which can eventually lead to falciparum malaria (like cerebral malaria) if untreated. Falciparum malaria can develop serious problems with the central nervous system, liver and kidney failure, bleeding problems, and can lead to death.
Malaria symptoms generally occur only a month after the initial infection. This also depends on the malaria specie, the individuals health and if those individuals had taken anti-malarial medications for prevention. Symptoms of a milder malaria infection (P. vivax and P. ovale) typically occur suddenly on a 48 hour cycle. Malaria treatment should be taken seriously and done with immediate effect at your nearest doctor / hospital if you've been in a malaria area recently and / or are experiencing these symptoms.
Is Seychelles a Malaria area? Do I need to take Malaria Medication?
Fortunately, there is no risk of malaria in Seychelles and anti-malarial prescriptions for travellers are not needed. You may hear stories of people in Seychelles with malaria but these are people who most likely contracted the disease from another country where malaria is prevalent such as Madagascar or Mozambique (and you cannot get infected from another human being with the disease).
Natural Ways to Heal Mosquito Bites (and other insect bites):
- First off, try not to scratch the bite otherwise you will irritate & inflame it even further thus prolonging the itch and the healing process.
- Organic Virgin Cold Pressed Coconut Oil contains natural anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and analgesic (pain relieving) properties which helps prevent infections, swelling and itchiness. Coconut oil is not only fantastic for your skin also acts as a natural mosquito (insect) repellant, therefore it's recommended to apply coconut oil on your skin to help repel and heal bites (whilst having lovely glowing and moisturised skin).
- Rub aloe vera gel (either directly from the leaf or from a bought organic aloe vera product) on the bite to reduce inflammation and itchiness.
- 100% Raw Organic Honey contains antimicrobial properties that helps prevent infections and reduce and itchiness / inflammation.
- 2 or 3 cups of 100% Raw / Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar into a bath will help sooth bites.
Health tips for a Stronger Immune System:
You are more susceptible to diseases, viruses, malaria and other pathogens if your body's natural defence system (the immune system) is weak, therefore it is vital that you strengthen it! Furthermore - a strong immune system is also extremely important for overall health and longevity. The digestive tract contains trillions of good bacteria (that fight off pathogens) in the gut flora and is responsible for 80% of the immune system - however in order for your body's highly intelligent immune system to function properly, you need a healthy nervous system (nerve supply) to communicate efficiently and correctly with all your body's organs (including the immune system response and to build healthy gut flora).
How to strengthen your immune system, optimize your gut flora and overall health:
- A healthy daily diet free of toxic chemicals, additives, preservatives yet rich in vitamins, minerals and healthy fats including: A raw organic plant based diet, juiced vegetables, blended fruit, healthy fats such as coconut oil / olive oil / avocado, raw dairy, antioxidant rich foods such as Goji Berries, Wild Blueberries, Dark Chocolate (raw organic Cacao), Pecans, Artichoke, Elderberries, Blackberries, Kidney Beans
- Fermented vegetables which contain potent levels of Vitamin C and probiotics vital for the immune system including: Sauerkraut, Kefir, Kimchi, Kombucha and more.
- Quality supplements to consider: Probiotics to restore healthy bacteria back into your gut, Vitamin C with Bioflavonoids, Omega 3 Fatty Acids with EPA & DHA, Astaxanthin, Chlorella, Zeolite, Collagen Protein, Spirulina, Chia Seeds, Hemp Powder, Goji Berries, Lugol's Iodine, Apple Cider Vinegar.
- Cold pressed organic coconut oil to substitute topical moisturisers, shaving creams and suntan lotion (coconut oil has a natural SPF of 5)
- Avoid antibacterial soaps that strip good bacteria on your skin (which is part of your immune system)
- Substitute "table salt" with Himalayan or Sea Salt - which are packed with powerful and much needed natural minerals.
- Get your spine, neck and nervous system checked by an experienced and certified chiropractor
- 30 minutes (minimal) of excerise per day, even if it's just walking
- Minimize sitting down but if avoiding a sedentary lifestyle is no option (ie: an office job), then make conservative effort to stand up, stretch, move your joints and do little exercises every so often to stimulate blood flow (eg: 20 body-weight squats).
- Find out why you are on long term medications and try to avoid them by means of your own research and perhaps through natural therapy.
- Antibiotics can suppress the immune system (kills the good bacteria), so it is wise to take probiotics to replenish your gut with good bacteria
- Proper sleep and rest is vital for your immune system and your body's natural repairing process
- Sunlight (UVB exposure) is vital for optimizing your Vitamin D levels. At least 20 Minutes of sunlight during midday but do avoid too much sun / sunburn. Vitamin D3 supplementation is recommended during winter or in areas that don't receive strong sunlight throughout the day.
- Start using non-flouridated toothpaste.
- Avoid / stop smoking
- Limit alcohol consumption
Highly recommended videos for learning and understanding how your nervous and immune systems work:
The following videos are that of the opinion of Dr. John Bergman who is highly respected and well renowned globally for his educational videos on general prevention, healing and all round health.
The information and contents contained on this website are for informational purposes only and is not intended to substitute / replace a qualified health care professional / doctor and is not intended to be, nor should be construed to be as medical advice. The information on this website are freely-expressed, individual opinions of all those involved with http://www.seychellesaccommodation.africa. The onus is upon you to do your own research, work with a qualified health care professional and make an informed decision going forward.